It’s January 2012. There are 12 months ahead to make this year a success. Twelve months to advance your organizations to the next level. Twelve months to make it happen.
Based on our work with non-profit organizations, there are 12 things to consider as you prepare for the year ahead. There are six aspects of high-performing boards that make them great and six areas in which all nonprofit boards can improve.
The six reasons that make nonprofits great - their boards have:
1. Knowledge of the mission
2. Passion for the vision
3. Dedication to the organization
4. Commitment to achieve results
5. Desire to maintain a strong foundation
6. Outstanding Executive Leadership
The six things most nonprofits need to improve:
1. More engagement (in committees & fundraising)
2. Increased collaboration
3. Improved knowledge and skill in fundraising
4. Enhanced community connection
5. Better awareness of advocacy issues
6. Clarity about how the board can make an impact
The last one is perhaps the most crucial. The organization's board, made up of volunteers, really needs to see positive outcomes result from their work. They want to make a difference.
Our work continues to help nonprofit leaders advance their organization to the next level. We activate the relationship between the board and management. We help them make it happen – not just let it happen. In 2012 you’ll have 12 months to accomplish your goals. We’d like to help you achieve your potential.
Make it a great year!